“One Room Schoolhouse” Program
Grade Levels: Grade 2 & 3 students
Fee: 6$/ student (teachers and accompanying adults are complementary)
Duration: 2 ½ hours
Dates offered: Weekdays, starting June 1st
Travel back in time with your class to the S.S. #1 Kenyon Big Beaver Schoolhouse to experience a day as a pioneer student. The stern schoolmaster/mistress will greet you and welcome you into their one room schoolhouse for the day, boys seated on the left and girls to the right. Write on slates, participate in a spelling bee and study the 3R’s: arithmetic, reading and writing. Make sure to be on your best behaviour, pioneer one room schoolhouse rules will apply!
*The program incorporates various strands from the Grade 3 Social Studies, Arts, Mathematics and Language Revised Ontario Curriculums.
Download the Pre-visit Unit Plan and accompanying PowerPoint Slideshow, free of cost, here:
One Room Schoolhouse Unit Plan (Appuyez ICI pour la version française)
Powerpoint – One Room Schoolhouse (Appuyez ICI pour la version française)
(Feel free to send us an email if you wish to obtain the original copy of this slideshow)
Extend the fun! If you want to make a full day of it, combine the “Pioneer Days” and the “One Room Schoolhouse” Programs for an extra 1$ charge per student.
Format of Programs
Both School Programs run for a 2 ½ hour period. You will be sent a detailed schedule upon booking of the program. Please make sure to arrive at the arranged time.
Want an even more authentic experience? Here are some ideas of how to Dress like a pioneer! (Appuyez ICI pour la version française!)
Staying for lunch? Feel free to bring an authentic Pioneer Lunch and use our picnic area! (Appuyez ICI pour la version française!)
Teachers are asked to handle their own bookings to ensure accuracy of dates and times.
- Please email email@example.com or call (613) 527-5230 to book a School Program.
- Grade 3 classes are recommended, however the program can be customized to cover the curriculum of other grade levels.
- The staff and volunteers can comfortably accommodate groups of 45 students, however there must be a minimum of 15 participants.
- The program fee can be paid at the front desk in the Orange Hall Reception Building near the parking lot on the day of the visit. Please make cheques payable to: “The Glengarry Pioneer Museum”.
- A cancellation fee of one half the regular fee is charged if the visit is cancelled less than one week before the date of the confirmed booking. The cancellation fee will not apply in the case of severe weather conditions or emergencies.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: please email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call (613) 527-5230.