Volunteers are key to the success of the Glengarry Pioneer Museum; without them, this museum would not be where it is today.
Volunteer Task Descriptions
- Maintenance Chairperson
- Tour Guide/Greeter
- Events Volunteer
Please note that volunteer commitment is based on your availability, it does not mean that volunteers are tied to the museum for life. Don’t be afraid of getting “locked in”! On average, the above volunteer opportunities may take 4 – 6 hours per month, some of which may include meetings. If you are interested in any of these, or would like further information, please contact the museum: email@example.com
This position is an organizational position which involves the assessment of needed projects and their completion. The main function is to ensure that budgeted maintenance jobs are organized and appropriate volunteers or contractors are called upon. Tasks include:
- Ensure safety and security of museum’s premises and reports maintenance problems to the Board;
- Recruit and schedule any necessary staff or volunteers to complete tasks.
- Hire necessary contractors to fill tasks that cannot be completed by volunteers or staff.
- Ensure the necessary materials are readily available for any repairs or cleaning.
A volunteer in the position of tour guide/ greeter will be called upon on the occasion that the museum is understaffed on days when it is open. In this position, the following tasks will take place:
- Opening and closing buildings
- Greeting guests
- Informing guests about the museum and its current exhibits
- Taking guests on tours if need be
- Taking admission
- Gift shop sales
- Answering the phone and taking messages
This position is a seasonal position and volunteers may be asked to volunteer the following hours:
- May and June: Saturday or Sunday, Shifts vary between 10 am and 5 pm
- July and August: Tuesday – Sunday, Shifts vary between 10 am and 5 pm
- September: Saturday or Sunday, Shifts vary between 10 am and 5 pm
Note: Days and Hours can be adjusted based on volunteer availability. Half days are always an option when shared with another volunteer. The museum may call upon a volunteer greeter one day per month, depending on needs. Training would be provided.
An events volunteer would work in various positions on an event day. In most cases, this position would be accompanied by one staff person or other volunteers. Some of the potential tasks would include:
- Taking admission
- Set up
- Clean up
- Parking attendants
- Children’s activities
- Minding buildings
The events that need volunteers in 2017 are:
– Smithin (June 3, 2017)
– What’s it Worth (August 19, 2017)
– Harvest Fall Festival (September 10, 2017)
– War of 1812 Reenactment (September 23 – 24, 2017)