“Pioneer Days” Program
Grade Levels: Grade 3 students
Fee: 5$/ student (teachers and accompanying adults are complementary)
Duration: 2 ½ hours
Dates offered: Weekdays, starting June 1st
Blast into the past with your students and come and learn what pioneer life was like in Glengarry.They will visit the many heritage buildings on site which will enable your class to compare between then and now. They will also try their hand at various pioneer chores and be introduced to some important pioneer trades, such as the blacksmith or leatherworker. Students will learn by doing and have the opportunity to see, in some cases, artifacts nearly 200 years old.
* The program incorporates various strands from the Grade 3 Social Studies Revised Ontario Curriculum (2013 Ed.).
Download the Pre-visit Unit Plan and accompanying PowerPoint Slideshow, free of cost, here:
Extend the fun! If you want to make a full day of it, combine the “Pioneer Days” and the “One Room Schoolhouse” Programs for an extra 1$ charge per student.
Format of Programs
Both School Programs run for a 2 ½ hour period. You will be sent a detailed schedule upon booking of the program. Please make sure to arrive at the arranged time.
Teachers are asked to handle their own bookings to ensure accuracy of dates and times.
- Please email [email protected] or call (613) 527-5230 to book a School Program.
- Grade 3 classes are recommended, however the program can be customized to cover the curriculum of other grade levels.
- The staff and volunteers can comfortably accommodate groups of 45 students, however there must be a minimum of 15 participants.
- The program fee can be paid at the front desk in the Orange Hall Reception Building near the parking lot on the day of the visit. Please make cheques payable to: “The Glengarry Pioneer Museum”.
- A cancellation fee of one half the regular fee is charged if the visit is cancelled less than one week before the date of the confirmed booking. The cancellation fee will not apply in the case of severe weather conditions or emergencies.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: please email [email protected]
or call (613) 527-5230.